Monday, September 12, 2011

Mod 2: Internet Safety Tips for students

Hello again,
   Every student should follow their school's Internet Usage Guidelines.  It often involves having a parent sign a permission slip that give the student access to the Internet.  The parent decides if the student can participate in online activities within the school and classroom.
   Students also need to learn to be proactive and follow their classroom or library media's Internet usage rules.  I will post some ideas that help children be safe while online.
NetSmartz, a program from the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children has great ideas for keeping safe whether you are surfing the Internet or blogging.  Let's take a look.

Safety Pledges:
Primary
Internet Safety Rules


   1. I will tell my trusted adult if anything makes me feel sad, scared, or confused.
   2. I will ask my trusted adult before sharing information like my name, address, and phone number.
   3. I won't meet face-to-face with anyone from the Internet.
   4. I will always use good netiquette and not be rude or mean online.


Intermediate
Internet Safety Rules


   1. I will tell my trusted adult if anything makes me feel sad, scared, or confused.
   2. I will ask my trusted adult before sharing information like my name, address, and phone number.
   3. I won't meet face-to-face with anyone from the Internet.
   4. I will always use good netiquette and not be rude or mean online.

Middle and High School

1. I WILL THINK BEFORE I POST.

I agree not to post information and images that could put me at risk, embarrass me, or damage my future, such as

    * cell & home phone numbers
    * home address
    * sexual messages
    * inappropriate pictures and videos

2.  I WILL RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE ONLINE.

I will not

    * post anything rude, offensive, or threatening
    * send or forward images and information that might embarrass, hurt, or harass someone
    * take anyone's personal information and use it to damage his or her reputation

3.  I WILL PROTECT MYSELF ONLINE.

If someone makes me feel uncomfortable or if someone is rude or offensive, I will

    * not respond
    * save the evidence
    * tell my parent, guardian, or another trusted adult
    * report to the website, cell phone company, CyberTipline.com, or the police

the Internet safety pledges can be found here:

http://www.netsmartz.org/Resources/Pledges

NOTE:  I removed the original pledge #3 due to the wording.  (It deals with meeting online friends). It is my understanding that the pledge dealt with meeting friends known by the student.  But after reading one of my classmate's comment on the "safety issue" of the pledge, I removed it.  I sent a message to the National Center for Exploited Children in regards to the wording and hope they will respond to my question regarding the pledge.  If there is an answer to my email I will post it in future posts.

And for additional information on being safe Online, go to 
http://www.netsmartzkids.org/

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that an internet safety site would post suggestions for "safe" meeting of online friends. I would have to think a lot before I let my child meet a friend they met online. If their only interaction is online, I would be really hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, I thought about that too and I think NetSmartz should clarify that on the pledge page. I think they mean friends whom the child already knows. I am sending them a response about that part of the pledge. In my daughter's case (she's 15)her friends from school who are on Facebook ask her to go to the movies all the time. And she is only allowed to go with the friends we know personally. But I completely agree with you that it has to be worded in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do remember to let us know if that part of the pledge gets reworded. You could post something in the Coffee House forum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed that you contacted NetSmartz and that they replied! I kept thinking about your post this week. When would physical interaction that stems from online interaction be appropriate? I agree with your comment, that your daughter arranges real-time interaction with friends when they interact online. That is completely reasonable, expected, and encouraged!

    ReplyDelete