Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thing 2: Online Communities


stephanandmike.files.wordpress.com
Online Communities are a great way to stay connected.  At first I was hesistant to join Twitter and Facebook because of privacy issues.  However, the more technology courses I took, the more informed I became on how to keep connected in a safe way. 

Using Facebook became a necessity to connect with family and friends who live out-of-state.  It also connected our family when my sister moved hundreds of miles away.  In my opinion, keeping safe online should always begin with the choices we make... So I am careful to "read the fine" print when posting online.

Twitter on the other hand did not really interest me until I began taking a school technology course.  Our professor had us connect with her on Twitter and we were required to "follow" edtucators who were focusing on Web 2.0 in the K-12 classroom/enviornment.  For me, this was an eye opener.   The connections I made with other educators has been fantastic.   Everyday there are new tech topics and things to learn from. 
 
Speaking of new tech tools, I tried the Paper.li and I love it.  It's my Tweet feed but in newspaper format.  Very Cool!  

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love paper.li! Such a handy way to get the best of twitter. Just went and "stole" some new edtech folks from your list of people you're following. I'm curious about who the professor was that got you hooked on twitter? Kudos to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    The professor is MaryAnn Burgos from UB. She teaches a course in teaching technology to ESOL students.
    She got us to try lots of new tech fun sites. This course is doing the same. :)

    ReplyDelete